Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sustain Champlain

This is the YouTube video my group made for the Sustain Champlain assignment. Our concept was simple. Champlain College students are green, and it isn't hard. Some students may not be aware of how green they are. We showed a few simple things that students at Champlain do everyday.





Now, here are my reflections:

1. What was the most difficult moment in making this video?
I think the most difficult moment had to do with the weather. We didn't want to shoot when it was rainy and gross out, so our production was pushed back. It was a little stressful, because we thought that we were going to be cutting it close, deadline wise; however, the class received extended time, and it all worked out.


2. Other than finishing it, what was the most rewarding moment in making this video?
The most rewarding moment was when we were actually filming. My group wrote out our final script in the morning, and got together in the afternoon to film. We all worked very well together, collaborating ideas, and giving Steph directions. We shot most things only once. It was rewarding to see how easy filming is with proper planning.


3. Discuss 3 specific lessons you learned about film production and/or "group process" in making this video.
[1] I learned that it is hard working on a film project as a group. Many people have different viewpoints as to what looks best. Also, I felt very helpless when it came to the editing section. One of my group members took control and did the editing while the other people were not present. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and have a hard time trusting group members complete a project when I'm not there. So, with this project, I learned to take the back seat, and let someone else be the leader.

[2] I realized that the two column method is helpful. We used it to map out the scenes, extra sounds, and dialog. It made the filming much easier.

[3] I learned that tripods are a useful tool. I was worried about our video looking shaky and overly amateur, but by using a tripod, the shots are smooth. By using the tripod we were able to get both moving shots, and still shots, from good angles. A good example of when the tripod was very helpful was the bike scene. The tripod makes the movement looks fluent while Steph rides her bike by the camera.


4. Discuss 3 specific things you learned about Champlain College and/or the "Sustain Champlain" project that you did not know before completing this project.
[1] While researching for our group production, I watched several YouTube videos on the Champlain YouTube channel. I learned that Champlain purchases some of its food from local farmers. This is both beneficial for the local economy, but it is also helping the environment because the transportation of the food is shorter and therefore, uses less fuel for a vehicle.

[2] I learned that all dorms are equipped with low flow shower heads. When I lived in a dorm last year, I didn't even notice the difference. I think this is a nice addition that the school has provided. It saves 30% of water per shower. There are a lot of students on campus, and hopefully they all shower at least once a day. It seems like investing in the shower heads is extremely beneficial.

[3] Overall, I learned how "green" Champlain is trying to be. I knew that we had an environmental club and Sustain Champlain, but I wasn't aware of how active these groups were. It seems like the school is putting a lot of effort into reducing our carbon foot print, and promoting a more environmentally friendly life style for the Champlain community.

1 comment:

  1. EXCELLENT, Heather - both your final reflection (clearly, you learned much from your video project) and your personal media meditations over the course of our semester together. Keep blogging, womyn! - Dr. W

    ReplyDelete